Thursday, December 3, 2009

Red Monkey

Joe Daly’s The Red Monkey Double Happiness Book has humor such as this:

The protagonist, Dave, was born with the feet of a howler monkey. He can climb trees and apartment buildings with equal ease. And, as drawn by Daly, he has the face of a monkey, too.


The characters talk like this, as sponger best friend Paul describes the didgeridoo he just used to konk a bad guy who was trafficking in South American cane toads for their hallucinogenic mucus: “Used correctly, it can be a deadly weapon. It’s strange, man, usually I’m a pacifist. I must have stored up quite a lot of rage over the years. I mean, if you think about it, man, the word ‘pacifist’ has the word ‘fist’ in it. I mean, I don’t know what that means, or anything … yeah, it’s probably largely irrelevant … I don’t know.”


It’s silly, it’s absurd. It’s also kind of funny.


More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment